Sunday 12 August 2007

Learning to scuba dive - the purist form of escapism

I have asked on numerous occasions why I decided to try scuba diving, and to be honest, I don’t think it was a conscious decision; I just sort of stumbled upon it. It was just one of those standard parts of the travelling experience, something that you do as you while away the days passing through countries like Thailand, Malaysia and Australia.

What I discovered was unique; it was the genuine escape that you hear people talking about in the office, and my life was changed by those few days scuba diving in Thailand, from that day on, all of my vacations were dictated by where I could scuba dive next.

I had my intial scuba diving lessons ten years ago, and since then I have enjoyed some of my life’s most amazing moments whilst scuba diving. I am certainly not alone, and indeed it is one of my favourite pastimes talking with other scuba divers, sharing experiences, and discussing at what point they realised that they too were hooked.

Today scuba diving is one of the fastest growing sports, and every year increasing numbers are taking courses such as the PADI Open Water diving course, enabling them to experience the awesome wonders beneath the surface.

So for those of you who are looking for something different and unique, why not consider taking some scuba diving courses and learning to dive.

Today, there are an increasing number of dive operators and dive companies offering scuba diving lessons, and given the rapid growth of the sport, this trend is only set to continue.